Is Moving....

Well,

The time has come that I will be transferring the blog over to a website format with a blog incorporated. The change will happen in the next few weeks, I will have forwarding information on the blog. Thanks for reading.

April 4, 2009

Dollar Store Flies- Part 1

Let me start this off by saying this, you don't need top dollar products to tie flies. There are plenty of cool materials that you can pick up from a dollar store or the local halloween shop and that is what I am going to talk about this time around.
It seems like tyer's don't like admitting that they are buying cheap materials from places other than a fly shop, why? I have no clue but there is the odd material that can create some pretty cool flies!
I just got home tonight from stopping at one of the many dollar stores here in Edmonton with a hefty bill of $6.50 and two packs of doll eyes, crazy glue and those cheap shiny plastic necklaces in silver, blue, pink, gold and green. Now, what in the world are necklaces used for when it comes to sitting at the vise and tying? Eyes, the answer is eyes and you can tie a clouser style minnow pattern without all that weight! They are attatched by a string and all you have to do is snip them off as you go in pairs (same idea as using bead chain) Now, you have a clouser that is light, flashy and affordable.
Moving on to the glue and doll eyes... well, I am sure you can guess what these are used for, Monster Pike Flies. I don't know about you folks but I absolutely love chasing Northern Pike on a fly, it is an experience that everyone needs to get out and do! Even a 6-12 lb northern will give you a heck of a fight and another photo for the brag book. My personal best on the fly is about a 20lb that I caught on a lake in Central Alberta three years ago on a 6w.
Heading to shops like Michaels Crafts, Dollar Stores and Halloween shops can provide some cool synthetic materials from yarn to wig hair and hackle to beads all at an affordable price and double the quantity.

In part 2 of this blog I will post some concepts and different materials I have used to create some exceptional flies and maybe a recipe or two as well.

Tight Lines

No comments:

Post a Comment